Monday, January 19, 2009
Week 3 might be in the books but there was a big shake up in both of my polls this week. After watching how good (and bad) several teams played, I feel compelled to add a new team to my National Top 10, and you know what that means... some is dropping out. Who could it be?

So here's the skinny...

Nationally

1. Wake Forest (16-0) LW #2

My new #1 and it should be no surprise. This team is undefeated and their latest victims were Boston College and Clemson, with a combined record of 29-4 going into last week games.

2. Duke (16-1) LW #3

Duke moves up because they not only handled Georgia Tech and Georgetown easily, but they also increase their winning streak to eight games.

3. Pittsburgh (16-1) LW #1

I couldn't really drop Pitt too far, in my opinion. After all, a loss to Louisville is getting to be considered a good loss, given how they've been playing.

4. Oklahoma (17-1) LW #10

The big mover this week is Oklahoma. I just couldn't continue to turn my back on that 17-1 record, not to mention their dismantling of Texas last week.

5. Connecticut (16-1) LW #4
Two impressive wins against average (at best) teams. Still, there's no way to keep them in the top 4 this week.

6. Louisville (13-3) LW Not ranked
I know this might seem a bit high, especially since Louisville hasn't been in my top 10 all season, but I saw these guys take down both Notre dame and Pitt in consecutive games. Not bad, and certainly worthy of being in my Top 10.

7. Michigan State (15-2) LW #5
I actually like MSU better than dropping them down two slots, especially after winning 11 in a row, but given what Oklahoma and Louisville have been doing, I am holding fast to see what happens next week.

8. North Carolina (16-2) LW #6
North Carolina bounced back from that 0-2 ACC start with a couple of conference wins. Still, beating a couple of average teams in Virginia and Miami doesn't exactly compel me to purchase my Final Four tickets just yet, so I am taking a wait and see attitude with Carolina as well.

9. Syracuse (17-2) LW #7
'Cuse lost to Georgetown pretty handily and I was going to drop them out, but then they hammered Notre dame and mostly redeemed themselves. Heck, anyone who can kick the heck out of "Our Mother" has my vote... at least for now.

10. Clemson (16-1) LW #9
I had planned on putting Arizona State in at #10, but given that they looked past USC and laid an egg before the impressive UCLA win, I just cant put them in... but let's just say that they are knocking on the door. Clemson, you had better play better against real opponents or you'll be out.

Dropped out....UCLA, Teams to watch... Arizona State, UCLA
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pac 10

1. Washington 13-4 (4-1) LW #4
Back to back blowout wins on the road against bad teams still beats the other three teams that were about the Dawgs last week, given that they all lost once. Therefore, I went with UW since they also have won 11 or their last 12 and are clearly rolling.

2. Arizona State 15-3 (4-2) LW #3
ASU blew a lead against USC to get hammered but them bounced back and beat UCLA it Pauley (no easy task), so kudos to ASU as they have as much momentum as anyone at this point.

3. UCLA 14-3 (4-1) LW #1
UCLA hammered Arizona at home and had ASU beaten down before they fell in love with the perimeter jumper. It cost them and they lost. Dropping them to #3 is my way of saying that if they don't control themselves, they aren't going anywhere.

4. Southern Cal 125 (2-4) LW #6
USC had back to back wins against the Arizona schools. We are beginning to see how difficult a win against ASU is so USC deserves a bump for a big win.

5. Stanford 12-3 (2-3) LW #7
Stanford is trying to figure themselves out, but they certainly did a good job of it against Cal this last week.

6. California 15-3 (4-1) LW #2
Cal losing to their crosstown rivals hurt their standings a lot. Still, Cal gets to beat down the Oregon schools this week, so their stock should rise by default.

7. Washington State 11-6 (3-2) LW #8
Wazzu might not have one of their best teams, but they went on the road and took down both Oregon schools, so they are clearly in the middle of the Pac. We're just looking for a few quality wins to really gauge them.

8. Arizona 11-7 (2-4) LW #5
Good one week, terrible the next. I defer to my comments two weeks ago when I was pointing out that this is a team deep in an identity crisis. They might have the best talent in the Pac 10, but apparently their style of play and game planning retired with Lute Olson.

9. Oregon State 6-10 (1-5) LW #10
It's becoming clear that Oregon State has a little fight in them... they just don't have enough talent.

10. Oregon 6-12 (0-6) LW #9
I know that Oregon has some talent too, but I'm not quite sure what is going on with them. Clearly, Oregon is the worst in the Pac 10... at least as of today.

This weeks match ups... UCLA / USC @Washington / Washington State
Oregon / Oregon State @ California / Stanford
Arizona State @ Arizona

Happy Hunting!
DM14
Comments